Match Report - Super Rugby match - Lions vs Waratahs on 11 May 2019

May 11, 2019 - The match was played at Ellis Park on Saturday 11 May 2019, and kicked off at 15:05pm SA Time.

The Waratahs took the early lead in the match when Scrumhalf Nick Phipps scored a try for the visitors, it came from a great break by Cameron Clark who then offloaded to Phipps who had no defenders close to him. Bernard Foley kicked the conversion to put the Waratahs in a 7-0 lead after 4 minutes.

Three minutes later the hosts hit back with a try of their own when Aphiwe Dyantyi received a well timed pass from Elton Jantjies to cross the try-line, Jantjies converted to make it 7-7.

Just to minutes later the visitors regained the lead through a try by captain Michael Hooper after some good work by Foley, who again kicked the conversion to make it 14-7.

5 minutes later the Lions equalised again when Stephan Lewies drove over for a try from close range, converted by Jantjies to make it 14-14.

7 minutes later Lock Rob Simmons ran a great line to take a pass in space, he still had some worked to do, but scored a great try under the posts, converted by Foley to make it 21-14.

6 minutes later the Lions had an attacking line-out on the Waratahs 22, when the ball got to Harold Vorster he ran towards the right-hand sideline where he eventually found two forwards in defence, he managed to make a clean break between the two defenders and then kicked a grubber that Kwagga Smith managed to chase and gather for the try. Jantjies missed the conversion from the side-line and the Waratahs were still in a 21-19 lead, which was also the half time score.

Early in the second half the Lions took the lead for the first time in the match when Courtnall Skosan scored, this after Kwagga Smith stole a ball and then quick passing saw Skosan put in space to score. Jantjies converted and the score was 26-21 for the Lions.

12 minutes later the Waratahs regained the lead again, when Staniforth scored and Foley converted to put them in a 28-26 lead with 24 minutes left in the match.

11 minutes later the Lions were awarded a kickable penalty, which Shaun Reynolds converted to give the Lions a much needed win at home.


Referee: Egon Seconds
AR1: Jaco Peyper
AR2: Rasta Rasivhenge
TMO: Willie Vos


Lions: 15. Andries Coetzee; 14. Courtnall Skosan, 13. Lionel Mapoe, 12. Harold Vorster, 11. Aphiwe Dyantyi; 10. Elton Jantjies, 9. Ross Cronje; 8. Warren Whiteley (Capt), 7. Vincent Tshituka, 6. Kwagga Smith, 5. Marvin Orie, 4. Stephan Lewies, 3. Carlu Sadie, 2. Malcolm Marx, 1. Sti Sithole.
Replacements: 16. Jan-Henning Campher, 17. Dylan Smith, 18. Johannes Jonker, 19. Wilhelm van der Sluys, 20. Marnus Schoeman, 21. Nic Groom, 22. Shaun Reynolds, 23. Tyrone Green.

Waratahs: 15 Kurtley Beale, 14 Alex Newsome, 13 Lalakai Foketi, 12 Karmichael Hunt, 11 Curtis Rona, 10 Bernard Foley, 9 Nick Phipps, 8 Michael Wells, 7 Michael Hooper (captain), 6 Ned Hanigan, 5 Rob Simmons, 4 Tom Staniforth, 3 Sekope Kepu, 2 Damien Fitzpatrick, 1 Harry Johnson-Holmes
Replacements: 16 Andrew Tuala, 17 Tom Robertson, 18 Chris Talakai, 19 Hugh Sinclair, 20 Will Miller, 21 Jake Gordon, 22 Adam Ashley-Cooper, 23 Cam Clark.


Lions: 29 (19): Tries: Aphiwe Dyantyi, Stephan Lewies, Kwagga Smith, Courtnall Skosan. Conversions: Elton Jantjies (3) Penalties: Shaun Reynolds

Waratahs: 28 (21): Tries: Nick Phipps, Michael Hooper, Rob Simmons, Tom Staniforth. Conversions: Bernard Foley (4)